Common questions and answers regarding Designs of Distinction® components for Kitchen, Bath, & Home.
Please note: Our FAQ page is under construction! Check back regularly for FAQ updates.
Please click on the buttons below to jump to specific FAQ sections.
Designs of Distinction is a premier line of decorative wood and metal elements for kitchen, bath, and home, proudly serving other businesses since 1998. Made in America, of superior quality and first-class materials, Designs of Distinction’s product line has grown from 100 elements to more than 5000 components, all in stock and available for immediate shipment. Give us a call today at 800-328-5858.
Who do you sell to? Designs of Distinction sells to trade customers only, including businesses such as cabinet manufacturers, furniture makers, woodworkers and interior designers.
I don’t have a business and I want to purchase for personal use. How do I buy your products? Our products can be purchased through our trusted online distributor partners. That list can be found here.
I have a business. How do I request an account? An account can be requested here. We reply to requests within 1-2 business days.
What species of wood do you offer? Most products are available in American Hard Maple, Red Oak, Alder and Cherry. Some of our products are available in Hickory, Ash, Quartersawn Red Oak, White Oak, Walnut and Paint Grade. Exotic species are also available on a custom basis.
I have a part that I would like replicated. Can you do this? Yes! We specialize in small and large quantity custom. Request a quote here.
Product FAQ – Tambour
Flexible & Solid Tambour Panels
Made in America from American hardwoods, Tambour ships ready to finish in paint or stain. Flexible Tambour has a thin backer, allowing Tambour to be used as a wrap and bend around curves. Solid Tambour makes an ideal insert for cabinet doors, or as full panels on cabinetry and furniture.
How many square feet is each panel?
- 12″ x 96″ panels = 8 SQ feet
- 12″ x 48″ panels = 4 SQ feet
- 24″ x 48″ panels = 8 SQ feet
How do I determine how many square feet of Tambour I need? Multiply the width in inches (10 ft. or 120 inches) by the length/height in inches (4 ft. or 48 inches), then divide by 144. (120 * 48 = 5760)/144=40 Sq. Ft. For this example, you could by (5) 96” panels and cut them in half or buy (10) 48” panels.
What sizes do you carry for flexible Tambour panels? Flexible Tambour panels are available as 12″W X 48″L or 12″W x 96″L. Some thinner profiles are offered in 24″W x 48″L. Panels offered in 24″W x 48″L include styles 100, 102, 107, 110, 302, 402, and 403.
What species are available for flexible Tambour panels? We stock flexible Tambour panels in Hard Maple, Red Oak, White Oak, Walnut, or Paint Grade Poplar. If you plan to stain, we suggest White Oak, Red Oak, or Walnut. For paint, we suggest Hard Maple or Paint Grade Poplar.
Why aren’t 24″W panels offered in 96″L for all profiles? Panels over 24″W x 48″L are extremely heavy and difficult to move & ship.
What is the purpose of a 24″W flexible panel, why not just offer the 12″W panels? The 24″ x 48″ panels were specifically designed for cabinet and furniture manufacturers who want to adhere the Tambour to a backer. The majority of door panels are under 24″W and 48″L, so this meets a niche market need.
How do you attach the flexible panels to walls or furniture? Any standard construction glue, pin nails, or finishing nails.
How can I customize the flexible Tambour panels?
- Species: We can do any species but a minimum run of 48 SQ feet is required.
- Style: We can typically create a new tool, minimum tool charge is $300 PLUS minimum run of 48 SQ feet.
- Length: We can create Tambour up to 10′ long but require a minimum run of 48 SQ feet regardless of style. Oversized charges apply.
- Lead time: Typically, 4 weeks for new tools and an additional 4-6 weeks for manufacturing. Please note that Tambour is a very popular item and lead times may be longer than usual.
What sizes do you carry for solid Tambour panels? Solid Tambour panels are 24″W x 46″L.
What species are available for solid Tambour panels? We stock solid Tambour panels in Hard Maple, White Oak, Red Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Alder, and Paint Grade Brown Maple. If you plan to stain, we suggest White Oak, Red Oak, Walnut, or Cherry. If you plan to paint, we suggest Hard Maple, Paint Grade Maple, or Alder.
What is the difference between a solid panel and flexible Tambour panel? Solid panels are made from laminated panels and CNC’d as a single sheet. They are not flexible. Flexible panels are moulded pieces that get glued to a flexible cloth or paper backer.
What size are the solid Tambour panels? Solid panels measure 24″W x 46″L.
Why are solid Tambour panels 24″ x 46″? Solid Tambour panels were designed specifically for the cabinet manufacturing market. This dimension fits on a pallet and/or easily ships FedEx/UPS. Like our 24″ x 48″ flexible panels, they fit the dimensional needs of cabinet manufacturers.
What are solid panels used for? Depending on the thickness, solid panels can be used as panel skins, panel inserts, or solid doors.
How much can I customize solid Tambour panels?
- Species: We can do any species but a minimum run of 5 full sheets (24″ x 46″) is required.
- Style: We can typically create a new tool; minimum tool charge is $650 PLUS minimum run of 5 full sheets.
- Custom sizes: We can CNC sheets up to 4′ x 8′ but caution that warpage can be an issue depending on profile/thickness; 5 full sheet minimum applies.
- Lead time: Typically, 6 weeks for new tools and an additional 2 weeks for manufacturing. Please note that Tambour is a very popular item and lead times may be longer than usual.
- Thickness: Because of the type of tooling we use, you can use the same tool on different thickness material. However, the profile will remain the same. 5 full sheet minimum applies.
How do you attach the solid panels to walls or furniture? Any standard construction glue, pin nails, or finishing nails.
Have a question about Tambour that isn’t answered above? Contact us through live chat at the bottom right of your screen, or fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
Product FAQ – Decorative Grilles & Mesh
Decorative Grilles & Mesh are finely woven by hand like a metal textile from steel wires. Decorative Grille offers an elegant alternative to glass in cabinet & furniture design. Choose from 11 styles of USA-made Decorative Grilles in 7 antique or bright finishes. In addition, we carry 5 styles of Italian-made Mesh. All styles are available in Stainless Steel, and Chevron Style #107 is available in Stainless Steel & Satin Brass.
NOTE: We offer several different styles of Decorative Grille and Mesh. We categorize each “type” as follows:
- Decorative Grilles refers to our USA-made grilles. USA-made Grilles are finished through the electroplating process, hand woven and crimped from steel wires. Styles include: RE25, 315C, CG10, 1214F, 1220T, 286S, 332P, 11614P, and DK08.
- Fine Wire Mesh refers to style MESH. This mesh can be used on its own, but is typically used behind Decorative Grille for a layered look.
- Italian Mesh refers to Italian-made mesh styles including 107, 116, 118, 104, and 112.
- Other materials are categorized as “Cut-to-Size” Materials – including leather, resin, and rattan.
Where can I find Decorative Grilles & Mesh in your 2023 Product Catalog? Decorative Grille & Mesh styles are on pages 14-17 of the 2023 Product Catalog. You can view the Decorative Grille & Mesh pages here.
What are Decorative Grilles & Mesh used for? Decorative Grilles & Mesh are used for a variety of applications. Most of the time, Grille & Mesh panels are used as an alternative to glass in cabinet and furniture design to conceal what’s inside, as well as provide air flow.
Are Decorative Grille panels welded together? No, the wires are not welded together. Wires will separate if not handled with extreme care. This applies to all Decorative Grille & Mesh, including Italian Mesh.
What material is used to make Decorative Grilles? Grilles & mesh are made from steel wires, woven and crimped together like a metal textile on a loom. Wires are of different gauges, depending on the style.
How do I clean Decorative Grille panels? Wipe clean with any non-ammonia based cleaner. For best results, regularly dust clean, and wipe down with non-ammonia cleaner occasionally.
How do I order Decorative Grilles & Mesh? There are two ways to order Decorative Grilles & Mesh: by the sheet or cut-to-size based on your specifications.
- To order by the sheet or half sheet, simply select the size and finish on the product page and add to cart. Proceed to checkout and submit your order.
- Order how many sheets you think you’ll need and select a finish
- Add to cart and proceed to checkout
- In the “order notes” section, type in your panel sizes and quantity
- We’ll double-check the math and ensure you are only charged for how many sheets your order will use, and email you with an order confirmation including pricing and panel sizes.
- Please note that custom cut product is NOT returnable.
What does “Cut-to-Size” mean? Cut-to-Size means that we will cut panels to your specifications so they are ready to install on-site upon delivery. Since Decorative Grille & Mesh panels are not welded, it can be extremely difficult to work with on-site. Our Cut-to-Size program reduces the chances of ruining expensive product on the job site.
How do you calculate pricing for Cut-to-Size Decorative Grille & Mesh panels? We’ve created an internal calculator tool to figure square feet and pricing according to your panel sizes. This calculator tool allows us to quickly identify how many square feet you’ll need for your project and price accordingly. We plan to roll out the square foot pricing calculator for customers in the coming months. In the meantime, please contact us through live chat, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call us at 800-328-5858 to calculate your square feet needs and price.
What size are the Decorative Grille panels? Decorative Grille, Fine Wire Mesh, and Italian-made Mesh dimensions are as follows:
- Decorative Grille – including styles RE25, 315C, CG10, 1214F, 1220T, 286S, 332P, 11614P, and DK08:
- Full sheet: 36″W x 48″L or 24″W x 72″L
- Half sheet: 18″W x 48″L or 36″W x 24″L
- Fine Wire Mesh:
- Full sheet: 41″L x 48″W
- Half sheet: 20″L x 48″W
- Italian Mesh – including styles 107, 116, 118, 104, and 112:
- Full sheet: 59″W x 36″L
What finishes are available for Decorative Grille & Mesh? Finishes are as follows:
- Decorative Grille – styles RE25, 315C, CG10, 1214F, 286S, 332P, 11614P, and DK08: Antique Brass, Antique Copper, Antique Pewter, Satin Brass, Bright Satin Nickel, Stainless “Look,” and Flat Black
- Decorative Grille – style 1220T: Antique Brass, Antique Pewter, and Flat Black
- Fine Wire Mesh: Satin Brass, Bright Satin Nickel, and Flat Black
- Italian Mesh – styles 116, 118, 104, and 112: Stainless Steel
- Italian Mesh style 107: Stainless Steel and Satin Brass
How are the Decorative Grille finishes created? Both bright and antique finishes are created through a process called electroplating. Electroplating deposits metal finishes onto the steel through electricity. Finishes can vary from run to run.
How many square feet is each sheet? Square feet per sheet is as follows:
- 36″W x 48″L or 24″W x 72″L panels: 12 SQ feet
- 18″W x 48″L or 36″W x 24″L panels: 6 SQ feet
- Fine Wire Mesh – 41″L x 48″W: 13.67 SQ feet
- Italian Mesh – 59″W x 36″L: 14.75 SQ feet
How do I determine how many square feet of Decorative Grille I need? Multiply the width in inches by the length/height in inches, then divide by 144. For example, 18″W x 24″L would be (18*24/144) 3 SQ feet.
What if I need a sheet bigger than 36″W x 48″L? We will gladly create a custom quote for panels that are larger than our stock sizes.
How can I customize the Decorative Grille, Fine Wire Mesh, or Italian Mesh panels? Custom styles, finishes, and sizes are available and quoted upon request.
- Finish: Custom finishes available include: Bright Brass, Bright Chrome, Light Antique Brass, Bronze, Gold, Satin Copper, and more.
- Style: Contact us to see styles that we do not currently stock, but can quote upon request.
- Panel Size: Panels larger than 36″W x 48″L available upon request.
- Please note: Currently, we do not offer customization of Italian Mesh finishes. However, Italian Mesh panel sizes beyond 59″W x 36″H are available upon request.
- Lead time: 4-6 weeks for custom styles and finishes.
How do I install Decorative Grilles & Mesh? We offer a Grille Retainer that’s designed to help securely install panels of decorative grille to cabinetry and furniture. This retainer removes the need for any additional fasteners and allows for easy adjusting or removal. Instructions to install Grille and Mesh panels using the Grille Retainer coming soon.
I need to show my client Grille Styles & Finishes. Do you have sample kits? Yes! We have a sample kit for Decorative Grilles & Mesh, as well as a kit for Italian Mesh. Contact us via live chat, email email@example.com, or call us at 800-328-5858 to request a custom Decorative Grille & Mesh Sample Kit.
Have a question about Decorative Grilles and Mesh that isn’t answered above? Contact us through live chat at the bottom right of your screen, or fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
Product FAQ – Aluminum Components
Made in the USA, our Anodized Aluminum Components line includes Metallic Trim, L-Channels, Sleeves, Ferrules, and more. Due to the anodized finish, aluminum components will not chip, peel, rust, or corrode. In addition, finishes perfectly match; a Brushed Aluminum sleeve will match a Brushed Aluminum piece of trim. We carry 7 stock finishes range from deep flat black to bright polished brass.
What components are made from Anodized Aluminum? Our Metallic Accent Trim, column sleeves, and furniture feet ferrules are USA-made from anodized aluminum. Details about each category of components below:
- Metallic Accent Trim includes our decorative aluminum bars, straps, and channels.
- Column Sleeves – designed to fit over our 2″, 3″, 4″ and 5″ columns.
- Furniture Feet Ferrules – designed to fit our square and round tapered feet and legs.
- Toe Kick Feet w/Metal Sleeve – 4.5″H feet with aluminum sleeve.
- New Metallic Trim Profiles and finishes are added regularly. Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on new products.
What does “anodizing” or “anodized aluminum” mean? Anodizing is an electrochemical process that converts the metal surface into a decorative, durable, corrosion-resistant, anodic oxide finish.
- Anodized finishes are not applied like paint or plating – finishes are fully integrated to aluminum substrate, so it cannot chip or peel.
- Anodizing is accomplished by immersing aluminum into a “bath” with a cathode to complete the oxidation process & create the finish.
- Anodizing is environmentally friendly, too – anodizing does not generate hazardous waste or EPA-listed toxins.
- Anodized aluminum components are easy to clean with any non-ammonia based cleaner.
- Due to anodized finishes – aluminum components match each other. For example, a Brushed Aluminum L-Channel will match a Brushed Aluminum Sleeve.
What finishes are available for Aluminum Components? Finishes are as follows:
- Metallic Trim: Brushed Aluminum, Chrome, Flat Black, Satin Brass, Polished Brass, Warm Bronze, & Satin Stainless
- Column Sleeves: Brushed Aluminum, Chrome, Flat Black, Satin Brass, Polished Brass, Warm Bronze, Satin Stainless, & Soft Gold
- Furniture Feet Ferrules: Brushed Aluminum, Chrome, Flat Black, Warm Bronze, & Satin Brass
- Toe Kick Feet: Brushed Aluminum, Chrome, Flat Black, Satin Brass, Polished Brass, Warm Bronze, & Satin Stainless
How can I customize Aluminum Components? Customization for Aluminum Components available for finish and size. Please note required MOQs may apply, and allow 4-6 weeks for custom Aluminum Components. Contact us to get your custom quote started today.
How do I install Aluminum Components? Please see below for installation tips:
- Metallic Trim: We carry a strong, double-sided, clear industrial UHB tape that’s temperature and moisture resistant to adhere to mouldings and cabinet panels.
- Column Sleeves & Ferrules: We dado columns & feet so that the aluminum sleeve seamlessly slides onto the bottom of the leg. Attach sleeves and ferrules to legs with UHB tape or other adhesive.
What are the part numbers for Columns with Sleeves? Dadoed Columns with Sleeves are sold as a kit! Columns with sleeves are located in the Posts, Columns, & Table Legs section of our catalog. We stock 2″, 3″, 4″ and 5″ pre-cut columns for a flush fit with the aluminum sleeve. We also carry pre-cut columns with a 4.5″H sleeve (toe kick height).
FAQ for Brass Components, Bistro Shelving, Shelving, X-Panels, Sample Kits, and more coming soon! Stay up-to-date on the latest information from Designs of Distinction by subscribing to our newsletter.
Please note that Our FAQ page is under construction! Check back regularly for FAQ updates.
Have additional questions? Please live-chat us below, contact us here, or submit your question via the form below.